Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Goat Part of the Family



These are the original five goats we started with....Pearl, Billy Ray, Tillie and Liz. We just had to add Sady to the mix about a week later. The non-goat in the picture is my husband. This is the man that firmly stated..."you can get the goats....but they're your goats....don't expect me to be involved!" Also note that the "playground" with the ramp was created by him!

We've had sixteen kids born here in the past 22 months and have bought another buck and doe. We've been extremely fortunate so far with our goats. **knock**knock** on the computer desk** We have only lost a set of twins at birth and one was killed by a dog while out on loan for a friends daughter to show.



Most of our good luck is due in no small part to my Great Pyrenees and Anatolian guard dogs. This picture was taken last week of Briggs and Stratton. They are now 17 months old and are simply amazing guardians. They have alerted us to numerous things that could have turned into big problems. They have been here with us for a year now this week and I can just now "lightly touch" Stratton on the nose. Briggs is a little more trusting but I couldn't just grab him and pet him on the head. Might draw back a nub! They wouldn't ever hurt us but let a stranger come near and look out. Don't have to worry too much about burglars and such around here.



This is the latest addition to our little herd. Her name is Spring and she is the most independent little gal you've ever seen. She's usually hanging around with the dogs or the big bucks. She's not afraid of anything and only cares about moma when it's time for a snack.

I just love this blog thing! Who would have thought I would have so much fun posting pictures of my goats. I do love my family just not quite as obsessed with them. Actually....I just have more pictures of the animals.

No comments: